Hello everyone,

I have also forever been annoyed by postings with no salary. It’s especially difficult when you’re starting out in the profession, when you lack the confidence to ask the right questions and / or you don’t know what you’re doing so you don’t know the right questions to ask. I accepted my first librarian position without having been informed of the exact salary (was given a range), and I ended up with the lowest salary possible for the job (30K/year – and even 20 years ago in a university setting it was an almost insulting amount of money). I had to get a second job to make ends meet, and it was quite demoralising to be in that position with a Masters degree. I didn’t stay there long, and the salary experience was part of why I left. Transparency would have been appreciated and very helpful. IMHO, every job advertised for any position EVER should post the salary or salary range in the job ad. Period.

If APLA can have any influence in changing this practice, I’m 100% behind this effort.

Nathalie

Nathalie Richard

Bibliothécaire (Faculté des arts et sciences sociales)
Bibliothèque Champlain

Université de Moncton, campus de Moncton

(506) 858-4000 (poste 4732) / 1 800 363-8336 (poste 4732)

Internet : Site Web, Facebook, YouTube

[log in to unmask]">Vérifiez mes disponibilités et prenez un rendez-vous virtuel (Microsoft Teams) ici !

« Scire ubi aliquid invenire possis, ea demum maxima pars eruditionis est » - Anonyme

Traduction : « Savoir où l'on peut trouver n’importe quoi, c'est la plus grande partie de l'apprentissage »

https://www.umoncton.ca/umcm/

More information about the system can be found at southshorepubliclibraries.ca

Applications and questions can be directed to [log in to unmask]

Christina Pottie

Engagement Lead

South Shore Public Libraries

Bridgewater, NS

902-543-2548

Disclaimer: The information and opinions shared through the listserv are those of the individuals sending the messages and are not necessarily endorsed by the Atlantic Provinces Library Association.

To unsubscribe from the APLA-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dal.ca/index.cgi?SUBED1=APLA-LIST&A=1

[...]

L'information contenue dans ce courriel (y compris les pièces jointes) est confidentielle et vise uniquement son destinataire ou ses destinataires. Toute autre distribution, copie ou divulgation est interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser et éliminer ce courriel, ainsi que les pièces jointes, de votre système informatique et de vos dossiers.