Dear Anna,

Thank-you so much for your thoughtful response.

I’m delighted to let you know that APLA will be able to offer BIPOC members
recognition for their work.  We’d like to extend an offer of free
registration to our virtual APLA conference this year - June 2021.  We
*truly* appreciate that our offer is financially limited.  Like other
associations in the Atlantic Provinces we are not “cash rich”.
Nevertheless, like you we think it is important to extend this
recognition.  We understand that this is both a small yet important step
forward.

We, of course, leave it to our potential participants to decide if their
assistance is part of their “regular” work or not.

With warm personal regards,

Ann

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 14:09, Anna Swanson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Ann and Louise,
>
> I am so happy to hear there is a commitment to developing an anti-racism
> action plan for APLA. My appreciation to everyone working to move this
> forward, and I absolutely understand to need to consult BIPOC members in
> this process.
>
> Would it be at all possible for us to consider offering compensation of
> some kind for BIPOC members willing to consult on this? Drafting
> anti-racism policy, strategy, or action plans is often paid expertise, and
> it’s been pointed out by many that it is good practice in anti-racism work
> to offer pay for this kind of labour, and be clear about that in the call
> for contributions. I understand this might not be appropriate in some cases
> where members are taking part during work hours as part of their paid
> library position (as is often the case for academic librarians), but this
> may not apply to all potential contributors.
>
> Could the APLA executive look at our budgets and the structural logistics
> and consider this? This is such important work.
>
> With appreciation,
> Anna
>

> On Sep 14, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Ann Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>

> The Atlantic Provinces Library Association would like to ask for guidance
> in the formation of an anti-racism statement and action plan from its
> members who are Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC).  The
> Association wishes to support all members in advancing anti-racism in
> Atlantic Canada by engaging in advocacy which has been directly informed by
> BIPOC members.
>

> Links to statements by CFLA/-FCAB and other library associations can be
> found here <https://librarianship.ca/blog/statements-racism-injustice/>.
>

> If you are interested in assisting the Association in its response, please
> contact Louise White, APLA Advocacy Convenor, at [log in to unmask] by
> September 30, 2020.
>

> Best Wishes,
>

> Ann
> --