FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Katherine McColgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, May 7, 2018 at 5:04 PM
Subject: FW: IFLA’s Work on Copyright
To: Members <[log in to unmask]>, Copyright Committee <
[log in to unmask]>, Board <[log in to unmask]>

FYI/ATI

Please share freely / Veuillez le distribuer à volonté

Katherine McColgan, CAE

Executive Director -- Directrice générale

Canadian Federation of Library Associations

Fédération canadienne des associations de bibliothèques

75 rue Jolicoeur, Gatineau QC, J8Y 1A8
<https://maps.google.com/?q=75+rue+Jolicoeur,+Gatineau+QC,+J8Y+1A8&entry=gmail&source=g>

613.867.7789

www.cfla-fcab.ca

@CFLAFCAB

            @kdmccolgan

*From: *IFLA Communications <[log in to unmask]>
*Date: *Monday, May 7, 2018 at 10:02 AM
*To: *"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
*Subject: *IFLA’s Work on Copyright

*Dear Members,*

*At the end of the month, there will be the 36th Meeting of the World
Intellectual Property Organisation’s (WIPO) Standing Committee on Copyright
and Related Rights (SCCR). This is the primary global forum for discussing
copyright, and in particular the limitations and exceptions to copyright
which help libraries to do their jobs, for example through lending,
research copying, or supplying copies of works to other institutions.*

*Our engagement at WIPO gives a possibility not just to meet and influence
individual copyright policy-makers from around the world, but to make the
case for practical and constructive action globally to improve the legal
environment for libraries. You can find out more about WIPO’s work in
IFLA’s guide <https://www.ifla.org/files/assets/clm/get_into_wipo.pdf> for
members.*

*IFLA is of course also active on the regional and national level, thanks
to our Advisory Committee on Copyright and other Legal Matters
<http://www.ifla.org/clm> (CLM). In recent months, we have supported
members in South Africa, Colombia, Mexico and Europe, and are happy to
offer advice and support elsewhere. We maintain a database of reforms
around the world, as highlighted in a recent blog
<https://blogs.ifla.org/lpa/2018/02/15/copyright-for-libraries-in-2018-part-1/>,
and through our CLM Network
<http://infoserv.inist.fr/wwsympa.fcgi/info/ifla-clm>, maintain a
conversation about the latest developments around the world.*

*We have also produced materials, including infographics on how copyright
reform can support creativity, innovation and communities, and on the
importance of copyright for school and public libraries (all available
todownload here <https://www.ifla.org/copyright-issues-for-libraries>).*

*In the coming days, my team will contact library associations in countries
whose representatives are active at WIPO SCCR. If you are not contacted,
but are interested to hear more, or have information to share about your
own copyright reforms, please feel free to get in touch with my
team: [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]> or [log in to unmask]

*Kind regards,*

*Gerald Leitner*

*IFLA Secretary General*

cfla-fcab.ca/d/msgid/members/BA3D1758-E703-413E-8165-
C00F45FC371F%40cfla-fcab.ca
<https://groups.google.com/a/cfla-fcab.ca/d/msgid/members/BA3D1758-E703-413E-8165-C00F45FC371F%40cfla-fcab.ca?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

--