All,
Please see below.  Thanks to Suzanne for taking this on.  Let’s all be sporting buttons by the end of the conference!
In addition to the money raised from the sale of buttons, APLA will be making a donation to the Burt Award for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Literature on behalf of each of our conference speakers.
Jocelyne

From: Suzanne van den Hoogen <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:22 PM
To: Jocelyne Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [APLA-LIST] Indigenous Stream at APLA 2018

Hi Jocelyne,

In keeping with this theme, could we let our members know that APLA will be raising funds for the Burt Award for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Literature at the conference?

I will personally be making sure to connect with as many people as possible at the conference!

[image1.jpeg]
Best,
Suzanne
Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2018, at 5:00 PM, Jocelyne Thompson <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Dear all:
When we started thinking about APLA 2018, we (the planning committee) decided that we wanted to focus some attention on libraries’ response to the Truth and Reconciliation Committee’s Calls to Action, building on the excellent sessions held at last year’s conference in Charlottetown. UNB Elder-in-Residence, Imelda Perley, agreed to serve as Conference Elder and has accompanied us throughout the months of planning.  Imelda will be active throughout the conference, welcoming delegates at the opening plenary, conducting a Sunrise Ceremony, and giving one of the concurrent sessions.  We are grateful for her enthusiastic support of our conference.
We are pleased to draw your attention to the Indigenous content of APLA 2018, and we hope that many conference delegates will have the opportunity to take advantage of at least some of the rich offerings outlined below.
KAIROS Blanket Exercise (Pre-conference, June 6, 1:00 – 3:00 pm.  Registration is required.)
Performance by Sisters of the Drum at the Welcome Reception (June 6, 7:00 pm)
Concurrent Session - Decolonizing Description : Changing Metadata in Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (June 7, 1:30 – 2:30 pm)
Concurrent Session - Mechanisms of Influence : Adventures in Media Literacy with the Mi’kmaq-Wolastoqey Bridging Year Programme (June 7, 2:30 – 3:30 pm)
APLA Common Read Book Talk : The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King (June 8, 7:30 pm)
Lightning Talk - Truth and ReconciliACTION Activities at Mount Allison Library & Archives (June 8, 11:30 – 11:45 am)
Concurrent Session - Library and Archives Canada’s Bridge Building with Indigenous Peoples (June 8, 3:30 – 4:30 pm)
Sunrise Ceremony (June 9, 7:00 am)
Concurrent Session - Wearing Wolastoqey Baskets of Knowledge (June 9, 9:00 – 10:00 am)
For more information on each of the above, please visit the conference website at https://apla2018.lib.unb.ca/
As we prepare to meet in Fredericton for APLA 2018, we  would like to acknowledge that the land on which we will gather is the traditional unceded territory of the Wəlastəkwiyik (Maliseet) and Mi’kmaq Peoples. This territory is covered by the “Treaties of Peace and Friendship” which Wəlastəkwiyik (Maliseet), Mi’kmaq and Passamaquoddy Peoples first signed with the British Crown in 1726. The treaties did not deal with surrender of lands and resources but in fact recognized Mi’kmaq and Wəlastəkwiyik (Maliseet) title and established the rules for what was to be an ongoing relationship between nations.

We look forward to welcoming many of you to Fredericton in just two weeks time!

Jocelyne & Ella
APLA 2018 Co-chairs