From: Kathryn Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 6:33 PM
Subject: APLA Celebrates Cape Breton Public Libraries!
To: [log in to unmask]

Inline image 1

February 23, 2018

Dear Honourable Stephen McNeil:

The importance of public libraries cannot be overstated They promote literacy by introducing young minds to the joys of reading and the acquisition of knowledge; they are an entry point into the world of lifelong learning; they are safe places for vulnerable members of the community, the young and the old, to engage in wholesome and fulfilling activities; they are meeting places where ideas are shared and plans that further individual and community goals are hatched; they are unique in their mission, providing irreplaceable services to their communities.  In short, public libraries improve quality of life for those citizens who have ready access to them.

I am writing on behalf of the members of the Atlantic Provinces Library Association (APLA) in support of Nova Scotia public libraries.  APLA represents approximately 400 library workers and many, many thousands of library supporters across the Atlantic region.  The message I am sending today is simple:

Nova Scotia Public Libraries Serve Real People in Real Communities!

This is the second of a series of mailers that will highlight one Nova Scotia library region at a time.  In December, we celebrated Annapolis Valley public libraries.  This month, APLA Celebrates Cape Breton Public Libraries!  Our intent is simply to make known to you the exciting and fundamentally important things that are happening in each of the libraries in each of the library regions of the province.  Of course, our underlying motivation is to send the message that public libraries must be adequately supported to fulfill their mission.  You may agree with this already, but you might be surprised how undervalued public libraries often are by elected officials, despite the huge support they enjoy in their communities.  This ultimately has an effect on funding.   We count on you to help us share this story and gain the support of your colleagues for Nova Scotia public libraries.

Yours sincerely,

Inline image 2

Kathryn Rose

APLA President 2017-18