From: Jeff Lilburn [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:13 PM
To: CAUT Librarians List <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Proposal to phase out University Librarian position at Mount Allison

Dear colleagues,

We've been dealing with a situation at Mount Allison for the last couple of weeks.

Our Provost / VP Academic & Research has released a Decanal Restructuring proposal that includes the phasing out of the UL position at the end of the current UL's term next year.

If the proposal is implemented, the UL would be replaced with a manager, "with HR experience,"  who would "run the libraries from an operational perspective."  Librarians would report to a newly-merged Dean of Arts and Social Sciences (we currently have a Dean of Arts and a Dean of Social Sciences).

At Mount Allison, the UL occupies a position analogous to Deans with regards to librarian workload, evaluation, tenure and promotion, sabbaticals, and hiring.  Library Council is chaired by the UL.  Under the administration's proposal, all of these UL duties would, presumably, fall to a Dean who is not a librarian.

If the Mount Allison administration's proposal is implemented, it would, in my view, seriously threaten the status of the Libraries and Archives as an academic unit.  It would also set a dangerous precedent that could be followed elsewhere in the country.

Last week my colleagues and I unanimously passed a motion opposing the Provost's plans at Library Council and this week we sent out an open letter addressed to all MtA faculty and students.  This has garnered some attention, including this CBC story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/mount-allison-university-librarian-1.4492297

It wasn't initially clear when the right time would be for public pressure.  With the CBC story appearing today, the time is now.

The Provost has requested feedback by tomorrow (Friday).  I know this message is getting to you late, but if you have a moment, please do consider sending a letter or brief email opposing the plan to our Provost, Jeff Ollerhead.

Contact Info for the Provost:

Dr. Jeff Ollerhead, Provost and Vice-President, Academic and Research
Mount Allison University
65 York Street
Sackville, NB  E4L 1E4
Phone: (506) 364-2622
Fax: (506) 364-2299

Thanks for reading.

Jeff Lilburn
Public Services Librarian
Subject Librarian for Drama, English Literature and French Literature
Mount Allison University Libraries & Archives

---

You are currently subscribed to cautlib as: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
For changes to your list subscription please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>