With apologies for cross posting.
Librarian – Archives, Special Collections, and Records
Contract Position – 5 September 2016 to 28 April 2017
Patrick Power Library
Saint Mary’s University
The Patrick Power Library seeks an energetic and innovative librarian/archivist for an eight-month contract position, covering a research leave, to begin September 5, 2016. The successful applicant will report to the University Librarian, within a collegial working environment.
General responsibilities include:
· As Archivist, oversee the transfer of material to the archives, the organization and arrangement of that material, and provide archival reference service;
· Oversee the archives’ records management program and theses processing service;
· Participate in managing the library’s institutional repository, including supervising digitization of archival material for the repository;
· A Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program;
· Knowledge of or training in archival services and standards;
· Ability to work effectively with patrons and colleagues in a team environment;
· Self-motivated, ability to work independently;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Experience in an academic or research library, especially in archives, reference, collections, or instruction;
· Training in or experience with the Rules for Archival Description, online archival databases (particularly AtoM); or working in a Dspace environment;
· Experience in supervising staff.
This position is suitable for a recent graduate or an individual with 1 year of professional experience or less.
The Patrick Power Library is dedicated to meeting the academic research needs of the University’s students, faculty and staff. Its three floors are home to more than 600,000 books and other resources, and Saint Mary's students can borrow from the collections (over two million items) of other universities in the region. The Library also offers 24/7 access to more than 350,000 ebooks and scholarly journals in the arts, business and science disciplines, either on-campus or off, via its website.
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 90 countries. Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and a current resume with the names and contact information of three references. Submissions must be received by 4:30 PM on the closing date of July 15th, 2016.
If submitting your cover letter and resume by mail or in person, please send to:
Patrick Power Library
Saint Mary's University
923 Robie Street
Halifax, NS B3H 3C3
Deadline for applications is July 15th, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.