Head of Cataloguing, Nova Scotia Provincial Library (Librarian 2)
For more information, or to apply, please go to: https://www.careerbeacon.com/posting/460495/department-of-communities-culture-and-heritage/librarian-2-head-of-cataloguing-halifax/halifax-city/
Under the general direction of the Manager, Systems & Collections Access, the Head of Cataloguing is the subject matter expert on the cataloguing and classification of library resources entered in the catalogue managed by Nova Scotia Provincial Library (NSPL) on behalf of our library stakeholders. The Librarian leads the Cataloguing Team, ensuring consistency and accuracy in this precise and complex discipline and provides leadership on matters related to cataloguing to other NSPL staff, the management team, as well as to library stakeholders across the province.
The Librarian is responsible for ensuring that all items submitted by library stakeholders are catalogued as efficiently as possible. The Librarian also catalogues the most complex items submitted for cataloguing, including items in unique formats and those with complex subject analysis, classification and/or language requirements. The Librarian maintains comprehensive expert knowledge of national and international metadata standards, structures, practices, and trends and uses this knowledge to inform cataloguing policy and procedures and to facilitate data migration and/or conversion projects, as required.
The Librarian leads a team of Library Technicians who provide access to each item held in the library catalogue, including: the performance management of team members; the creation of appropriate work targets; ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures; the engagement of team members; the hiring of new team members; and directs staff training, as required.
• Bachelor's degree plus post-graduate degree in library science.
• Plus 2 years professional library experience, preferably in cataloguing.
• Extensive, demonstrated working experience with:
o Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2r),
o Machine Readable Coding (MARC) metadata coding standard,
o Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC), or Library of Congress Classification (LCC). DDC preferred.
o Alpha-Numeric System for Classification of Recordings (ANSCR)
o Authority control using Canadian (Library and Archives Canada and Répertoire de Vedettes-Matière) and Library of Congress authority records
• Knowledge of Resource Description & Access (RDA) Cataloguing Standard
• Knowledge of, and interest in, metadata standards and data structure as they pertain to data conversion and/or data migration.
• Demonstrated experience using bibliographic utilities.
• Knowledge of, and significant experience with, large-scale implementations of Integrated Library System (ILS) software, especially the cataloguing and authority control modules. SirsiDynix Symphony, or Unicorn, is preferred.
• Exceptional and consistent accuracy and attention to detail
• Excellent analytical, trouble-shooting and problem solving skills
• Ability to read and write in both English and French
• Performance Management and/or supervisory experience
• Demonstrated strong team, interpersonal and communications skills.
• Ability to quickly learn new technologies and stay current with technological developments in libraries.
• Ability to organize work, develop effective work practices, assess work priorities, and work independently
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and work cooperatively and collaboratively with library staff and vendors, individually and in group situations
Pay Grade: PR 12
Salary Range: $55,904 - $67,831
Closing Date: May 21, 2015
Dyan Perley Bader
Manager, Systems & Collections Access
Nova Scotia Provincial Library
Communities, Culture & Heritage