Dear APLA Members,

Though not unexpected, the failure in second reading yesterday of Bill C-626 is nonetheless a major disappointment.  The bill, if passed into law, would have restored the census long-form and the independence of the Chief Statistician of Canada.  Some of you will remember that APLA, under then-President Sarah Gladwell, advocated against the elimination of the long-form in 2011.

I was going to add something about the sad state of our democracy, but perhaps that’s not my place.

Thanks to all who, one way or another, took the time to support the bill.

Jocelyne