Job ID: 1018945
Dept ID: LIBN NSH HOSP LIBR
Location: Nova Scotia Hospital
Close Date: 2014-12-16
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Library Services, and the day-to-day supervision of
the Librarian Educator, the Library Technician provides editorial support for the patient pamphlet
process. The Library Technician is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the patient
education database, maintaining an archive of copyright agreements, cataloguing patient pamphlets
using Inmagic, contacting content experts when material is to be renewed, and ensuring that patient
pamphlets meet Capital Health standards.
In addition, the Library Technician will undertake some general cataloguing of Library materials, and will
provide occasional support to Library staff for interlibrary loans, circulation and general Library duties.
This position provides highly specialized editorial support to professional staff, researchers and
students. The Library Technicians may plan and coordinate the work of library volunteers, and in the
absence of the Librarian, may assume temporary administration of the library operation.
* Successful completion of a recognized Library and Information Technician Program
* Minimum of 2 years library experience or equivalent
* Health Science Library experience preferred
* Completion of a medical terminology course an asset
* Knowledge of library procedures and resources
* Proficient computer skills in current library computer systems and applications such as DBText,
InMagic, Internet use, DOCLINE
* Proficiency in word processing, database management and spreadsheet applications
* Ability to use library technical equipment such as photocopiers, scanners and fax machine
* Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work:
* Long assignment, full-time position; 75 hours biweekly
* Beginning February 10, 2015 with an anticipated end date of February 10, 2016
Salary: Library Technician:
$20.8218 - $23.6612 hourly
Closing Statement: Thank you for your interest in this position.
This is a NSGEU Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
We will contact you should you be selected for an interview. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Capital Health is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment that promotes our vision - Healthy people, healthy communities.
Capital Health Tobacco Reduction policy requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.