There are two Librarian positions advertised today as Librarian Educator- Provincial Library Service that will support a province-wide library service for the hospitals in Nova Scotia. Apply online at Career Beacon:
Penny Logan BA, MLS, AHIP
Manager Library Services
1796 Summer St. #2212
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
[log in to unmask]" alt="cid:[log in to unmask]">
Librarian Educator – Provincial Library Service
Job ID: 1018461
Dept ID: PLSA Provincial Library Service
Location: QEII HI Site
Close Date: 2014-11-04
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Reporting to the Manager, Library Services and in support of patient care, management, research and education the Librarian Educator is responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of library training services for physicians, researchers and staff. The Librarian Educator will develop and implement a shared catalogue, offsite access, an online search service and a reference management support program. The Librarian Educator identifies gaps in library services and develops training programs and web-based resources to fill those gaps. She/he ensures effective access to evidence-based clinical, educational and administrative decision-making tools and relevant best practices and acts as an expert consultant to staff, students, administration and physicians regarding their information needs and trains library staff on new developments.
Please note, this posting is for two positions, one with Shared Catalogue and one with Remote Access:
The Librarian Educator, Shared Catalogue - Responsible for planning, implementing, maintaining and evaluating a shared Library catalogue for all the DHAs in Nova Scotia. The catalogue will be based on Inmagic software, and will build on the current structures.
The Librarian Educator, Remote Access - Will establish, implement and evaluate the technical requirements for remote access to Library materials using EZ Proxy, in support of all of the DHAs.
* Masters of Library and Information Services degree from an American Library Association accredited Library School
* Member of the Academy of Health Professionals (AHIP) or commitment to attain the credential within one year of employment
* Undergraduate degree in the Sciences an asset
* A minimum of three years progressively responsible experience in a hospital library, a
medical/research library, or an academic Health Sciences library
* Specialized knowledge of training and adult training methodologies (either through experience or academic certification) with the proven ability to manage projects, and appropriate allocation of resources to achieve objectives and deadlines
* Thorough knowledge of Library and Information Science applications in an academic
healthcare/research facility including PubMed, CINAHL, PsycInfo, Cochrane, NLM classification system, MEdical Subject Headings, Docline, Loansome Doc, and RefWorks
* Strong knowledge of research methodologies, Boolean searching and Copyright Law
* Expertise in online searching, subject analysis and critical appraisal of literature
* Technical experience with a keen interest in training users in new technologies including PDAs and wireless technology
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both oral and written are necessary, including the ability to present academic and technical aspects of research subject matter in a group and/or individual setting
* Must be able to coach all aspects of Health Science Library work including cataloguing and Document Delivery
* Experience with Inmagic an asset
* Experience with EZ Proxy an asset
* Demonstrated experience training users
* Commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills
* Willingness and ability to travel between sites is required
* Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be
considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work:
* Two permanent, full-time positions; 75 hours biweekly
* Beginning November 3, 2014
Salary: Librarian Educator:
$29.1005 - $36.7472 hourly
Closing Statement: Thank you for your interest in this position.
This is a NSGEU Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
We will contact you should you be selected for an interview. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Capital Health is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment that promotes our vision - Healthy people, healthy communities.
Capital Health Tobacco Reduction policy requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.