I agree with David and see the space as being very important, as well as
competent staff who know how to navigate the research, community and
digital worlds. Moreover, from a public library perspective, the idea of
digital creation centres as brought up in the presentation sounds great:
3-D printers, powerful video and sound-editing computers, rooms and
sections where noise is allowed and discussion encouraged: these things
should exist along with quiet study sections, good old fashioned print,
download stations, video game rooms/stations, government information
stations (I'd like to see gov. docs. redone to be a workstation or two with
helpful, up-to-date guides and staff on how to actually navigate government
sites to enable citizens to participate in democracy)... Also, I see print
books eventually becoming, or re-emerging as "cool" along the same line as
LPs did. And, of course, programming is very important. Public libraries
need to be spaces where documentaries can be shown, where authors read,
poetry is taught, local history lectures given, introvert teens are invited
to be themselves in good company, and so forth.

Libraries have been declining in importance for a long time, and perhaps
the key to all this is to convince both government and public that
libraries still matter; a difficult task indeed, given the internet has
taken the place of the library in many, if not most people's minds. We're
going to need money, bold actions and open minds to succeed, or the future
of libraries will be quite bleak and involve the quaint dust-bin of history.

--
-Nick (Nicholas)