During the years that I have been working with APLA our communications have gotten much more effective.
Thanks especially to Pamela Maher and Leigh Gagnier, who have successively led our communications with a new branding, website redesign, facebook group, twitter account, LinkedIn, and Lord only knows what else. It has been terrific. Now Leigh has gone and gotten herself pregnant (congratulations! But I hear the baby will not be named Apla after all), and so will need to step down early as communication committee convener after Labour Day.
We have also had some great advances with our bulletin through the efforts of two recent editors, Alexandra Brooks-Robinson and Nicole Dixon. They have rebranded the bulletin, raised the bar on the content, and have successfully moved us to an online format in both the drupal module, and in PDF formats. Nicole’s term as co-editor for the bulletin comes to an end after the summer issue.
Therefore we are putting out a call for two volunteers to help us continue the good work from the past few years, and move us in to the future in terms of our communications.
1. Communications and Public Relations Committee convener (2 year term – unless you get pregnant in the middle of it):
Duties (some of these are new and this list is not directly quoted from the standing orders or procedures manuals):
· to publicize and promote the aims and activities of APLA to libraries and other related organizations and to the general public of the Atlantic Provinces
· to promote communication among members of the Association
· to maintain the APLA Facebook group, Twitter account, LinkedIn group, and to maintain the blogs found on the APLA website, posting relevant information of interest to the membership
· to assist the Bulletin Management Board as necessary in order to ensure the continuance of the APLA Bulletin as the publication of the Association
· to organize a session at each annual conference to increase the visibility of the committee and communication among APLA members
· to provide at least one topical article a year on the committee’s activities, to be published in the APLA Bulletin
2. Bulletin Co-editor (2 year term) *Note the other co-editor is Ron Rooth of Cape Breton University Library
Duties in cooperation with a co-editor: (this list is not directly quoted from the standing orders or procedures manuals):
· Assist with calls for papers and collection of submissions as required
· Using the final edited version of the bulletin articles (as provided by your co-editor):
o Publish articles to the website (Drupal platform, moderate technical experience required)
o Create a PDF version of the Bulletin
· Collaboration on other management duties with the co-editor and communication to the Executive as required
Both positions would begin September 1st, 2013.
These positions are appointed by the convenor of the Committee on Committees and Interest Groups. Since that convener is Crystal Rose who is currently swamped with the CU Expo (http://cuexpo2013.ca), please send expressions of interest to me and I will gather them for Crystal. Email is preferred.