From: Lise Brin
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:00 AM
To: University Faculty List
Subject: LAC's Interlibrary Loan service meets an untimely death (Reception this morning)

Dear colleagues and friends,

The Librarians, Archivist and Document Delivery Staff at the Angus L. Macdonald Library would like to invite you to join us in paying tribute to a dear friend who passed away this morning. The latest victim of budget slashings at Library and Archives Canada, the LAC's Interlibrary Loan Service officially terminated its services as of this morning.

Throughout the country, librarians and libraries are mourning this loss. Lynne Murphy, University Librarian, expressed her dismay over this turn of events: "Canadian Libraries and those we serve both in academia and the public will find ourselves bereft from these losses.  Though hidden from view, these services of LAC enhanced and supported learning and research.  It is a sad occasion."

Reception today at 11:00 a.m., Centre for Teaching and Learning (3rd floor, Angus L. Macdonald Library)

Our colleagues Rita Campbell and Guy Lalande will say a few words about the importance of this day, and draw attention to the slew of cuts and changes taking place at our national archives.

Thanks to University Librarian Lynne Murphy for providing coffee and dainties for the reception.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Best regards,

Lise Brin, Emerging Services Librarian
Susan Cameron, Special Collections Librarian
Rita Campbell, Special Projects Librarian
Suzy Coady, Document Delivery Assistant
Carolyn DeLorey, Liaison Librarian
Angela Hagar, Document Delivery Assistant
Kathleen MacKenzie, Archivist
Elaine MacLean, Collections Librarian
Pam MacLean, Extended Library Services Liaison
Grace MacPherson, Metadata/Cataloguing Librarian
Laurinda Matheson, Instructional Services Librarian
Lynne Murphy, University Librarian
Glenna Quinn, Reference and Research Services Librarian
Suzanne van den Hoogen, Extended Services & Online Learning Librarian