Intellectual Property Assistant,
C-5 (*Provisional), Killam Library
Dalhousie University, one of
Canada’s leading universities, is widely recognized for
outstanding academic quality and teaching, and a broad range of
educational and research opportunities. Located in vibrant
Halifax, Nova Scotia since 1818, Dalhousie attracts students
from around the world. We inspire students, faculty, staff and
graduates to make significant contributions to our region,
Canada and the world.
Dalhousie Libraries support and advance learning and research
endeavors by providing collections, facilities and services that
enable expedient access to the world’s information and knowledge.
Reporting to the Assistant University Librarian (Collections), the
Intellectual Property Assistant is responsible for assisting in
all aspects of the University’s copyright and open access
• Provide front line support to the University community regarding
copyright policies, print and film performance licenses, and open
• Assist Libraries staff tasked with the implementation of
copyright standards and policies.
• Ensure that all copyrighted materials have been cleared prior to
production or use; obtain clearance on behalf of faculty, staff
and students upon request.
• Respond to a variety of questions to assist faculty and staff
with regard to license compliance issues.
• Maintain Copyright Office web pages to inform and provide access
to copyright policies and procedures.
• Provide assistance to the Assistant University Librarian
(Collections) with the resolution of non-compliance issues.
• Maintain familiarity with copyright legislation and continuously
update knowledge with applicable changes.
• Act as front line receptionist for the Office of the University
Librarian and provide backup support to the Administrative
• Provide primary contact support to various external
organizations regarding copyright issues.
Completion of a two year Library Tech Diploma, combined with a
minimum of two years’ related work experience in the fields of
copyright or open access (or an equivalent combination of training
and experience). Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
required, as well as the ability to work both independently or as
part of a team. Organizational skills are essential as well as the
ability to multi-task and set priorities. Proficiency in MS Office
As an employer of choice, Dalhousie University offers an
attractive total compensation package, including a defined
benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, an employee and
family assistance plan, and a tuition assistance program.
For more details and to apply online, please see:
Killam Memorial Library, Room G10,
6225 University Avenue, PO Box 15000,
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2,
[log in to unmask]