Council of Atlantic University Libraries (CAUL-CBUA)
Collaborative Research & Innovation Grant
Deadline for Application September 30, 2011
The Council of Atlantic University Libraries (CAUL-CBUA) is launching the Collaborative Research & Innovation Grant to support new or established librarians, working in a CAUL-CBUA member institution, who aspire to, or are, actively engaged in research.
Two grants of up to $1,000 each are awarded annually, when merited, to help achieve the following objectives:
to support new or established practitioners working in academic libraries conducting research with the intent to share results through publication and/or conference presentations;
to encourage and support collaborative research undertaken by practitioners in the field of academic librarianship; and
to promote research in the field of academic librarianship that is evidence based and applicable to the Region.
The CAUL-CBUA Collaborative Research & Innovation Grant is intended to encourage collaborative research across the academic libraries in the region, proposing solutions to practical questions as well as projects which involve structured evidence-based research. Projects of regional interest, which promote research partnerships between practitioners, educators and students are also encouraged.
Criteria for Evaluation Proposals are judged on the following:
1. originality of the research or project;
2. relevance or importance of the research or project to the goals and objectives of the CAUL-CBUA libraries;
3. effectiveness of research in terms of the expected influence and ramifications of the results (pertaining to research or development only);
4. appropriateness of the proposed research method and development process;
5. comprehensiveness of application; and
6. proof of effective management and control of the project.
Proposals will be adjudicated by the Board of Directors or by a committee designated by the Board.
The Board reserves the right to grant an award or not on an annual basis dependent on the merit of the received applications.
Submission of Proposals Grant applicants should submit their proposal via e-mail . The proposal should be in the form of a letter which explicitly - addresses the criteria for evaluation listed above and also contains:
· name and address of applicant, mailing address and date of application;
· description of the research or development project identifying methodology and design or development process (not more than 250 words);
· duration of the project, including a detailed project timetable;
· assessment of the potential utility of research results to the CAUL-CBUA academic library community;
· indication of how the results of the research project will be disseminated – e.g. as an article manuscript submitted to a peer-reviewed journal for publication;
· budget outlining anticipated costs;
· statement of other grants/awards already received for the research or project; and
· a current Curriculum Vitae
Conditions of the Grant:
· the grant must be acknowledged in publications and presentations emanating from the research or development accomplished through the CAUL Research & Innovation Grant.
· a report must be filed with the CAUL-CBUA Board within two months of the completion of the project or two years after receiving the grant, whichever is the shorter time period.
· Award cheques will normally be issued to the applicant’s institutional Grants Office
Deadline: Proposals should be submitted via email by midnight September 30th, annually. Submissions by fax or post will not be accepted. For the inaugural year, please submit proposals to [log in to unmask]
Awards will be announced by the end of November annually and grants will be received by the following January.