Each year during its strategic Retreat, the Faculty of Management announces a series of awards to colleagues. These awards relate to achievements in teaching, research and administration. This year, two members of the School of Information Management were honoured with awards, Drs Anatoliy Gruzd and Fiona Black.
Award for Exceptional Interdisciplinary Endeavour in Scholarly Research – Anatoliy Gruzd
Dr Gruzd was only in our Faculty a few weeks before offering to put his own research expertise to use for the benefit of the Faculty's goal of seeking opportunities for shared research across Schools and subject domains. His work, using his Network Analytics software is already helping individual faculty members to see who else has related interests.
With degrees in both computer science and library & information science, Anatoliy's interdisciplinary research crosses many borders. For example:
· within the School and with other departments at Dalhousie, Anatoliy is involved with colleagues in a study analyzing if and how information from biomedical research literature is disseminated to non-specialists through the blogosphere
· with senior colleagues in the Faculty of Computer Science at Dalhousie University, he is active in research in the Web Information Filtering Lab
· at the Department of Sociology at the University of Toronto, Anatoliy collaborates with Dr. Barry Wellman on a SSHRC-funded initiative investigating how online social media and networks are changing the ways scholars disseminate knowledge
· at the Department of Humanities at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Anatoliy works with Dr. Nancy Steffen-Fluhr and other colleagues, studying gender-driven institutional change using co-authorship networks to help reduce women's isolation in technological organizations
· finally, at the Department of Media and Communication at YeungNam University in South Korea, Dr. Gruzd collaborates with Dr. Han Woo Park and his team at the WCU Webometrics Institute investigating internet-based politics using e-research tools
Award to Senior Administrator for Exceptional Service to the Faculty of Management – Fiona Black
[From Dean Peggy Cunningham] I am grateful to work with someone so well respected by her colleagues. Fiona is most deserving of the award due in part to her seven years of leadership with the School of Information Management, and her role as Associate Dean in charge of external programs. Fiona is a person who exemplifies our mission: always leading with integrity and thoroughly getting things done. When Fiona was in charge of the search committee for the Director of the School of Business, I was so impressed with her professionalism, organizational skills, and kindness, that she was one of the prime reasons I decided to join Dalhousie. I value her greatly as a friend as well as a colleague.
[From SIM colleagues] Fiona has demonstrated exemplary leadership and she supports and models collaboration. Her commitment to interdisciplinarity is amply evident in initiatives she has undertaken as Associate Dean. She strongly endorses the interdisciplinary character of the Faculty of Management and has worked tirelessly to advance initiatives that embrace cross-school/program activities. Her strengths include the ability to see beyond the parochial to the larger perspective of the big picture where all aspects of the Faculty of Management benefit. She has enormous capacity and energy for extensive work and a willingness to work until the objectives have been achieved. Her reputation as a very capable administrator extends well beyond the Faculty of Management to the wider university and to national and international circles. On top of all of these characteristics, she has a personality that relates effectively with all members of the Faculty.
JoAnn Watson, MSLIS
Academic Integrity Administrator for the Faculty of Management
MLIS Program Coordinator
School of Information Management
Faculty of Management
Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building
Dalhousie University 6100 University Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3J5