From: Emily Rose Gusba [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: July 1, 2008 10:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Assistance Requested - Research Survey for Distribution

Dear colleague;

I am a student in the final semester of my Master’s of Library and Information Science program in the Faculty of Information and Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario. I am currently conducting a research project entitled Information Seeking Behaviour in Potential LIS Students: A Comparative Analysis of Information Sources, and part of my project involves asking current and former library students to complete a 15-minute online survey. Any current graduate-level library students, or recent graduates (within 5 years), of an ALA-accredited library program, are invited to participate in my research by taking this survey on how potential library students conduct research about library school.

Thus, I am asking for your support in this academic endeavour by forwarding the email and link below to your members. One of the primary goals of my project is to share findings on how library schools can improve information dissemination to potential library students with the North American library community, and I would love to hear from your organization’s members.

Should you be interested in the results of the survey, or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, Emily Gusba, at [log in to unmask] or my supervisor, Dr. Ajit Pyati, at [log in to unmask].

Thank you,

Emily Gusba, MLIS (candidate)

University of Western Ontario

Supervisor:

Dr. Ajit Pyati

University of Western Ontario

Faculty of Information and Media Studies

North Campus Building, Rm. 237

London, ON, Canada

N6A 5B7

(519) 661-2111 X 85616

** With apologies for any cross-postings **

Dear colleagues;

I am a student in the Master of Library and Information Science program in the Faculty of Information and Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario. I'm currently conducting a research project entitled Information Seeking Behaviour in Potential LIS Students: A Comparative Analysis of Information Sources. For this project, I'm going to be studying gaps and differences in information about library school available from two kinds of sources:  1) traditional recruitment materials (websites, brochures) vs. 2) the information available from LIS students/ librarians via web 2.0 tools (blogs, Facebook, etc). I'm excited to see what other people think about the issue, and that's where YOU come in.

I've created an online survey to help me find out more about how people find out about Library school. It would be great if you could fill it out, and tell your friends (in fact, tell even the non-Library friends, they'll be jealous). Surveys are anonymous, of course. Please feel free to email me should you have any questions or comments about the survey.

Ideally, I'd like to get responses from students from as many Canadian and American Library schools as possible. Please feel free to forward my email to any of your friends who are Library students/recent grads (graduated in the past 5 years). I'd be happy to provide an executive summary of my findings when I'm done, for anyone who is interested. Just send me an email.

Should you be interested in the results of the survey, or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, Emily Gusba, at [log in to unmask] or my supervisor, Dr. Ajit Pyati, at [log in to unmask].

The link to the survey is here: http://surveys.fims.uwo.ca/Surveys/Surveys/TakeSurvey.aspx?s=B57B91E618F542AE85B1BA3D0FAC0B4F

Thanks in advance for taking part!

Emily Gusba

University of Western Ontario

Faculty of Information and Media Studies

North Campus Building, Rm. 240

London, ON, Canada

N6A 5B7