Please see the following message from Friends of CHN.
CANADA'S LEADING WEB-BASED SOURCE FOR HEALTH INFORMATION WILL CLOSE ON MARCH 31, 2008
Facts about the Canadian Health Network (CHN):
- 20,000+ quality, peer-reviewed resources in English and French.
- In-depth information on 25 health topics and population groups electronic newsletter.
- CHN is used by 395,000 people (unique users) monthly (5.4 million+ a year).
- 40% of users are health professionals, who share information withclients.
- Francophones visit CHN in higher proportions.
- 94% of users recommend the site to others.
- Third party evaluation is high and costs have been dropping.
- Entirely focused on needs of users without profit or sale motives.
The Federal Government has a surplus. Eighty per cent of the 15 million Canadians on-line seek health information on the internet. CHN fulfills the Federal Government's commitment to individual engagement and responsibility for health and supports organizations building healthy
1. Please voice your opposition by writing the Federal Government to urge them to:
- Reconsider the Public Health Agency of Canada cut in grants and contributions.
- Reinstate these funds to the Public Health Agency of Canada, specifically for CHN.
- Continue the CHN program.
Tell the Government how you use CHN and how valuable it is in your work, to your clients and to you personally (contact information is below).
2. Ask your organization, board and other organizations to write letters.
3. Join Friends of CHN ([log in to unmask]
). Health librarians, nurses, health promoters and others are joining forces to oppose the CHN closure. You and your networks are needed in this fight.
Please write today to:
The Right Hon. Stephen J. Harper
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington St.
Ottawa K1A 0A2
Telephone: (613) 992-4211
Fax: (613) 941-6900
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
PM's website: http://www.pm.gc.ca/
The Hon. Tony Clement
Minister of Health Minister's Office
Brooke Claxton Building
Postal Locator: 0906C Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Fax: (613) 952-1154
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Direct correspondence right on the website:http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/minist/health-sante/contact/index_e.html
Dr. David Butler-Jones
Chief Public Health Officer
Public Health Agency of Canada
130 Colonnade Rd, A.L. 6501H
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Email: [log in to unmask]
Direct correspondence right on the website:http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/contact_cpho_e.html
Your Member of Parliament (you can find him or her at:http://canada.gc.ca/directories/direct_e.html#mp)
Opposition party health critics:
- Liberal: Robert Thibault (West Nova): [log in to unmask]
- NDP: Judy Wasylycia-Leis (Winnipeg North): [log in to unmask]
- Bloc: Christiane Gagnon(Quebec): [log in to unmask]
- Green Party: Health Promotion critic Blake Poland:[log in to unmask]
This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records.
Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply.