Hi everyone,

Re. below, concerning this recent job posting that came on the APLA list
from the Pictou County Health Authority, it raises the question as to where
the heck the professional line is between the role of the professional
îLibrarian╣ and the role of îLibrary Technican.╣ I know this is a
contentious issue for some. This posting reads like a committee seeking to
fill a position that has too much work and too little pay. Just an
observation.

Cheers,
Leo
------------

On 7/7/04 3:13 PM, "ARH_Library" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> PICTOU COUNTY HEALTH AUTHORITY
> LIBRARY TECHNICIAN
>
> Job Summary:  Under the direction of the Library Committee and reporting to
> the Director of Quality Management, the Library Technician is responsible for
> providing library services to all staff and affiliates of the Pictou County
> Health Authority.  The Library Technician will manage reference services,
> journal subscriptions, document delivery, collection development, circulation,
> statistics, and library promotion within the organization.  The Library
> Technician will also provide clerical support for an onsite clinic for the
> equivalent of one day per week.
>
> Qualifications:
>>
> * Library Technician diploma from an accredited program is required.
> * Computer skills including Microsoft Office and demonstrated internet
> searching ability required.
> *
> * Excellent organizational and time management skills required.
> *
> * Knowledge of medical reference sources, both print and online required.
> *
> * Demonstrated ability to market library services required.
> *
> * Competence in meeting management and team building.
> *
> * Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
> *
> * Demonstrated ability to function autonomously.
> *
> * Previous work attendance may be considered.
> * An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for
> this position.

Leo J. Deveau M.Ed., MLIS
9 Chestnut Avenue
Wolfville, Nova Scotia