I agree with Anne's sentiments.  This has been a lively and informative discussion.
To speak to Anne's comments, I have just contacted Kim MacInnis who is the Library Technician currently working at the Aberdeen Hospital.   This position has been staffed full-time, part-time with some periods of no staffing over the past 10 years or so.  Kim first worked there on a 3-month term in 2002.  In April 2003 the job was advertised again and Kim has been working there until now.
She is leaving to move out West, hence, the recent job ad.  We contacted Kim when the job was posted, and she vetted the letter before it was sent by the Canadian Health Libraries Association.  The letter, approved by Kim, states:
"We commend Kim's performance in filling her responsibilities as a library technician. She has been most responsible, cooperative, and pleasant to work with in carrying out her responsibilities and it is our understanding that she supports the recommendation to hire a professional librarian."
Again, thanks for a great discussion, and thanks to Leo for getting the conversation rolling!
Penny Logan
President, CHLA/ABSC

Penny Logan
Manager Library Services
Capital Health
1796 Summer St., Room 2212
Halifax, NS  B3H 3A7
902-473-4383
Fax: 902-473-8651

>>> Anne Chesnutt <[log in to unmask]> 07/20/04 10:28AM >>>
This has been a great discussion - I've found it very informative and my
thanks to all who posted their thoughts and opinions.  No more from me on
that, but a little bit about the Aberdeen.  I am a member of the NS
Government Libraries Council, and about 8 years back we had a contact for
that library on our membership list.  When I tried to get updated contact
info, I found that the position had not been filled for some time.  I think
that the last person to work at that library was a tech.

Anne Chesnutt

>From: Liz Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Thanks Leo
>Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:44:01 -0300
>
>And to think that this whole discussion began as a result of one
>person's comment upon an ambiguously worded job ad for a position in a
>library at a 126-bed hospital that employs about 560 workers in a
>county where there is a 15.1% unemployment rate.  We still don't know
>the size of the collection at the Dr. G.R. Douglas Memorial Library at
>the Aberdeen Hospital, nor do we know how many of the 560 workers are
>regular library users.
>
>I'm glad that the discussion has come up and that the APLA listserv has
>such thoughtful and vocal members.
>
>Just an observation.  Many thanks for making my evening e-mail review
>so provoking.
>
>Liz J.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.
Confidentiality: This email message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept any liability for errors or omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result of email transmissions. If verification is required please request a hard copy version.