CFP: "Data as Collections" - Special Issue of Collection and Curation
Guest editor - Ayoung Yoon, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Data become an important part of libraries' collection in addition to the traditional information sources like books or journals. With the growing curricular and research interest in data, libraries are now expected to build a data collection that is useful to their user communities. However, developing, managing, and preserving data collection require different considerations than traditional information sources (e.g., scope, cost, license agreement, acquisition policies, quality assessment, formats, technology and infrastructure, etc.), while providing unique challenges.
Previous work in this area focuses a lot on research data management (RDM) at the libraries, particularly helping researchers address needs throughout the research data lifecycle. This special issue will add a new perspective by addressing libraries' efforts to build data collections and the issues around these efforts.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Strategies and challenges for developing data collections
* Data collection development policies
* Data management/curation practices in libraries
* Issue relevant to access and sustainability to manage data as collection
* Metadata for data collections
* Impact of data on future collection development
* New users' need
* Training and staffing librarians
* User education/service/outreach
* Institutional, journal, and funder policies relevant to the development of data collections
* Licensing and legal concerns
* Research papers
* Opinion pieces or columns
* Articles should be between 1000 and 3000 words in length. This includes all text including references and appendices. Please allow 520 words for each figure or table.
Articles for the special issue should be submitted to Collection and Curation for peer review before 22 October, 2018.
How to submit a manuscript:
Collection and Curation is hosted on ScholarOne(tm) Manuscripts, a web based online submission and peer review system. Registration and access is available at https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/cuco. If you are unable to find the information you need in the author guidelines or our author resources (http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/index.htm) section, please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for assistance. Please quote the journal name, your contact details and the information you require.
For instructions on formatting your manuscript please consult the Author guideline (http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/author_guidelines.htm?id=cc