Dear APLA Members:
A motion will be presented at the 2011 APLA Ordinary General Meeting in St. John’s to adopt a revised terms of reference for Standing Order 6.04: Continuing Education Committee. Please take note of the rationale and the proposed new terms in preparation for voting at the OGM.
APLA Past President
In the last several years, APLA has had both an Interest Group and a Standing Committee focused on continuing education. As we have been unsuccessful this year in recruiting a convener for the Interest Group, and given the overlap in mission between the Committee and the interest group, the Executive moved at its Spring meeting to dissolve the Interest Group and enhance the terms of reference for the Standing Committee. Continuing Education is one of the most important member services APLA provides and this change is intended to strengthen our delivery mechanisms.
Standing Order 6.04: Continuing Education Committee
Membership: The Committee shall include the Chair, the APLA President and Vice President/President Elect, as well as a minimum of three additional members. These members shall represent various types of libraries. Members may serve up to three years.
Terms of reference:
1. To identify continuing education needs and opportunities within the region;
2. To develop continuing education content in response to identified needs;
3. To liaise with the Partnership’s National Continuing Education Committee and collaborate in the joint development of high quality continuing education programs;
4. To work with the Partnership’s Education Institute in the planning of content offerings, including Atlantic content;
5. To publicize continuing education opportunities and promote the Partnership’s Education Institute through the APLA website, Bulletin and listserv;
6. To solicit articles on the subject of continuing education for the APLA Bulletin; and
7. To contribute ideas and coordinate sessions for the APLA Conference.