Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

APLA-LIST Home

APLA-LIST  June 2010

APLA-LIST June 2010

Anna Leonowens Gallery Exhibitions openings Monday July 5th at 5:30pm

Tanja Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:35:29 -0300

text/plain (171 lines) , image001.jpg (171 lines) , image002.jpg (171 lines) , image003.jpg (171 lines) , image004.jpg (171 lines) , image005.jpg (171 lines) , image006.jpg (171 lines) , image007.gif (171 lines) , image008.jpg (171 lines) , image009.jpg (171 lines) , image010.gif (171 lines)

Hello APLA Members,

For those interested in book design, traditional letterpress printing, and book arts in general, NSCAD University's Galleries are hosting a variety of exhibitions of interest beginning Monday, July 5th. As a special treat, publisher and book design award winner Andrew Steeves of Gaspereau Press will be on hand and speaking at the evening opening on the 5th at the Anna Leonowens Gallery.

Admission is free and all are welcome. For those in Halifax next week, we hope to see you there!

Tanja Harrison
NSCAD University Library

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
________________________________

For immediate release…

Opening Reception Monday July 5, 5:30 - 7pm

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Gallery 1
The Alcuin Society
2009 Awards for Excellence in Book Design in Canada
Travelling Exhibition

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

The Alcuin Society presents their annual exhibition for Excellence in Book Design in Canada. The Society announced the winners of its 28th annual awards, chosen in March 2010, by judges Marian Bantjes, Linda Gustafson, and Peter Koch. The judges selected 30 winning titles from 252 entries, 9 provinces, and 108 publishers.

"Designers, illustrators, typographers, printers, writers and publishers have collaborated to bring together words, images, type, paper and binding, to express themselves in these works of art," commented Leah Gordon, Alcuin Society Board member and Design Competition Committee Chair. "All the entries demonstrate that there's nothing like the look and feel of a well-designed book."

The winning books will be shown in 17 venues across Canada, and exhibited in conjunction with three international bookfairs: the Tokyo International Book Fair in Japan, and in Germany at the International Book Fairs of Frankfurt and Leipzig. They will also be shown for the first time in England; they will be displayed first at the Norfolk and Norwich Millennium Library, and then at the Norwich University College of the Arts. They will also compete in the biggest annual book-design competition in the world, in Leipzig, Germany, in February 2011.

The Alcuin Society (www.alcuinsociety.com) is a Vancouver-based not-for-profit society for the support and appreciation of fine books. In addition to the annual Book Design Competition, the Society publishes a journal, Amphora, and organizes lectures, workshops, exhibitions, and field visits on various aspects of the book.

Andrew Steeves, publisher and co-owner of Gaspereau Press, will give a talk in the gallery Monday 5 July at 6pm.

Exhibition runs through Saturday July 17th, 2010

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Gallery 1A
Tactile Notebooks and the Written Word
Class exhibition
Sandra Brownlee, faculty coordinator

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

This exhibition will highlight student notebooks created in the Tactile Notebooks and the Written Word workshop taught by Sandra Brownlee during Summer Session One at NSCAD University. Brownlee writes about the workshop:

This workshop will help you find your own living language through the creation of a vibrant notebook practice. Motivated by haptic considerations, we will use the sense of touch to stimulate and awaken perception, to guide the making process, and to revive sensitivity to the way we communicate both visually and verbally. We will create tactile pages, playing with materials, techniques, and words to make concrete the vital elements of our experience. The goal is to heighten your sensory experience, expand understanding in unexpected directions, and deepen your artistic vision.

Exhibition runs through Saturday July 17th, 2010

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Gallery 2
Another Country
David Hall, Harland Johnson, and Sarah Stevenson
Artists-in-Residence

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Image by Harland Johnson

Montreal artists David Hall, Harlan Johnson, and Sarah Stevenson present a group exhibition entitled, Another Country. The title of the exhibition refers to places both reconstructed and fictional. Sarah Stevenson presents ambiguous objects, which upon closer examination reveal windows onto alternative worlds. David Hall's paintings are reconstructed landscapes derived from memory, observation and invention. Harlan Johnson's tarpaulin-like paintings conjure Nova Scotia as a complex place of associations, history and culture.

Another Country invites viewers to travel to places where fiction and experience are not strangers and fiction is never stranger than experience. The artists wish to thank the CALQ and Dawson College for their generous support.

Exhibition runs through Saturday July 17th, 2010

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Gallery 3
Doug Guildford
Artists-in-Residence

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

From the exhibition catalogue Doug Guildford, Between The Tides, written by curator Robin Metcalfe, the artist offers:

Toronto-based for the past 25 years, Doug Guildford still spends several months a year on the Atlantic coast in his native Nova Scotia. His artistic practice is rooted in drawing and has evolved into a “language” of marks and symbols that, as he says, “wanders suggestively between male and female and lays claim to the ambiguous terrain of the intertidal zone.” Drawings come from daily beachcombing, and then the sketchbook imagery is rolled over into prints, paintings, sculptures and, recently, photography.

For the past 10 years, Guildford has been crocheting nets from metallic wire, paying homage to the traditional handwork of Maritimers and the economies that support them. The nets are fantastic, amorphous sculptures that continue to grow and accrue meaning as they travel back and forth from studio to seashore. The artist writes: “the crocheted sculptural work spills from an intuitive and obsessive place and accommodates my need to task on an ongoing basis as a means to contemplate as I justify and record my life.”

The artist acknowledges the Toronto Arts Council and the Ontario Arts Council for their support.

Artist’s Presentation: Tuesday 13 July at 12:00 noon

Exhibition runs through Saturday July 17th, 2010

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Notice to NSCAD Students:

Applications for Fall 2010 exhibitions are due July 1st at 5:00pm. Though the gallery will be closed for maintenance all week, you can deliver your application through the Service Centre, or our mail slot at 1891 Granville street. Applications received after the deadline will be considered late and will be lowest priority when programming decisions are made. Applications can be found on the NSCAD Website: www.nscad.ca > galleries > gallery information. Contact Eleanor King, Exhibitions Coordinator if you have questions about the application process: [log in to unmask]<https://mail.nscad.ns.ca/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Check the website for upcoming gallery talks and events at www.nscad.ca

ANNA LEONOWENS GALLERY Hours

Tuesday to Friday: 11:00 – 5:00 PM
Saturday: 12:00 – 4:00 PM
1891Granville St Halifax NS
494 8223
[cid:[log in to unmask]]

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
A dynamic new exhibition, performance, and event space located at NSCAD University’s Port Campus on Marginal Road.

Main Space

July 7 – 18, 2010
Opening Reception Tuesday July 13, 5:30 - 7pm

Fourth Nature Installation in progress
Valerie Salez
Artist-in-Residence

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Salez writes:

Fourth Nature uses Italian Renaissance grottos as a starting point. These grottos were ‘decorated’ with monumental sculptures, murals and architectural friezes and then fitted with hydraulic systems, which allowed mineral water to trickle out. The result of this process has been the build up of stalactites, which inevitably re-configure the grottos artworks over time.

In 1541 Jacopo Bonfadio described renaissance gardens as 'third nature’. Later in the century, Bartolomeo Taegio also used the term 'terza natura' in describing gardens. First and Second Natures were (and are) wholly understood. The naming of gardens as ‘third nature’ was revolutionary at the time and was needed to describe the increase in mans ability and desire to contrive and control nature in creative ways. My attempts to re-interpret these ‘third nature’ spaces, constructed of predominantly synthetic materials, can only be termed as what I am calling Fourth Nature.

I am also interested in the process of emergent evolution and its forms. Attempts to reveal emergent forms using materials and ideas, collected in a chaotic manner over a long period of time, result in unpredictable yet inevitable ways. Attempting to use my entire collection, of erratic materials and objects, I am creating elements of stalactite-ridden forms similar to those found in the above-described grottos.

Artist’s Presentation: Wednesday 14 July at 12:00 noon

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Loggia Landing

July 7 – 18, 2010
Opening Reception Tuesday July 6, 5:30 - 7pm

Rare Type
Class exhibition
Paul Maher, faculty coordinator

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Using Wood Type from the Dawson Collection and mixed print media, this class has employed traditional letterpress printing processes to develop works examining the relationship between word, typographic form, environment and audience. Colour printing and experimental approaches are featured prominently within the exhibited works, as are several collaborative printing projects.

PORTloggia
NSCAD University Port Campus
GALLERY Hours Wednesday to Sunday 12 – 5 PM
1107 Marginal Road
442 8769

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Located in downtown Halifax, Seeds Gallery is a unique shop showcasing a diverse range of original artwork by students and alumni of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design.

Seeds Gallery
1892 Hollis Street
Tuesday to Friday 11am – 6pm, Saturday 12 – 4pm
(902) 494-8301
[log in to unmask]<https://mail.nscad.ns.ca/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>