[Apologies for cross posting.]
THE PROFESSIONAL LEARNING CENTRE
Faculty of Information Studies, University of Toronto
Registration is currently open for the following web-based course:
MASTERING WEB SEARCHING
Monday April 9 to Friday May 25, 2007.
Instructor: Gwen Harris
Fee SLA members: CAN$351.55 ( $305.27 US)
Regular fee: CAN$395.00 ($343.00 US)
Which Web search engines are the best? What are advanced search techniques?
What tool should be used for what purpose? How are they best used?
This course will help build skills in using the main tools and in developing
web search strategies. On completion of this course, you will:
• Be knowledgeable about the types of subject-oriented tools
• Be skillful in using the syntax and special features at the leading
search engines - Google,Yahoo, Ask.com, Windows Live, and Exalead
• Be able to find resources on the Invisible Web
• Be acquainted with specialty search engines
• Know the best meta-searchers to help with big-sweep searches.
• Be familiar with personal search tools.
• Be accomplished at applying various strategies for getting much better results.
For everyone who is looking to hone their research skills on the Net.
An optional certificate in WEB SEARCH STRATEGIES is available.
To be eligible, students must complete the weekly assignments and write a
one-hour, online exam at the end of the course. Fee: $50
If you have taken Mastering Web Searching and want to refresh your knowledge
and update your skills, you may audit the course. Fee is $60.
Auditing students will receive an email each week featuring new material and
updates as well as full access to the course. To register as an auditing student,
please contact the PLC Office: (416) 978-7111; [log in to unmask]
REGISTRATION: To register for the course and for more information, please visit
the PLC website at http://plc.fis.utoronto.ca/coursedescription.asp?courseid=3
SLA MEMBERS: visit your page at http://www.plc.fis.utoronto.ca/sla_members.asp