>>> Education Institute <[log in to unmask]> 10/6/2006 1:26 PM
She is BACK by popular demand...REGISTER TODAY!
"Storytelling - Storymaking"
with Sya Van Geest
Storytelling is a powerful tool to engage, teach and build positive
learning communities. With roots in oral culture, storymaking is an
important component aspect of literacy. The power of storytelling is in
every one of us! Have fun bringing your stories to life and engaging the
audience - whether it is a class of students, one special child, a
Saturday morning group of children in the public library, or a seniors'
group. Once you have experienced the empowering others to tell their
stories, you will be forever hooked!
Thursday, Oct. 19th, 2006
4:00 PM ET 1:00 PM PT
1 hour - Audio Conference
REGISTER AT www.THEPARTNERSHIP.CA and scroll down to the 'Education
* Learn how to analyze stories and break them down into chunks
* Understand the process of storytelling and the skill sets involved
* Learn how to select, shape and create a story for every listener
* Receive practical handouts with permission to edit and personalize to
your specific needs and interests
Who Should Participate?
* Anyone interested in the art of storytelling to any age group
* Librarians and teacher-librarians
* Elementary and secondary classroom teachers
* Community leaders thinking of using storytelling with various groups
Key Topics You Will Explore
* The storytelling process from preparation to presentation
* Skills and knowledge to enhance storytelling ability
* Storytelling as a teaching/learning strategy
* The characteristics and qualities of stories that promote storymaking
* Sourcing good stories
* Storytelling as a key component of literacy
* Workshop design and materials to teach storytelling
Method of Instruction
The audio conference session will use a combination of storytelling,
lecture, guided practice exercises and discussion. Handouts and
organizers will be available in advance of the session.
Member: $54.00 + GST
Non-Member: $74.00 + GST
REGISTER AT www.thepartnership.ca. Scroll to Education Institute and
click on this course!
About the presenter.....
Sya Van Geest is a recognized storyteller, classroom teacher,
teacher-librarian and library consultant. Her knowledge, skills and
strategies are grounded in thirty years of experience in a variety of
settings, and with all age groups.
Developed for the Education Institute by the Ontario School Library
Association, a division of the Ontario Library Association.
The Education Institute, brought to you by The Partnerrship
The learning programs of the
If you have questions please contact the appropriate Association
or Meredith Gilbert for the Partnership and the Education Institute at
Ontario Library Association at [log in to unmask]
Professional development of librarians and information professionals
Atlantic Baptist University