Apologies for cross-posting.
Position Vacancy: Director of Information Systems
Novanet Inc. is seeking an experienced, creative leader to assume the position Director of Information Systems. This position reports to the Novanet Policy Board Executive Committee and is responsible for the planning and coordination of information technology operations serving a 10 member library consortium.
Below is a detailed position description.
Salary is $55,000 - $65,000, dependant on qualifications and experience.
Applications will be considered beginning November 4, 2002.
Submit applications to:
Chair, Novanet Staffing Selection Team
C/o Nova Scotia Community College
5685 Leeds Street
Halifax, NS B3J 2X1
[log in to unmask]
Position: Director of Information Systems
Reporting to: Novanet Executive Committee
General responsibilities: In consultation with the Novanet Executive Committee (NEC), the Director of Information Systems is to provide the technical expertise and direction for the company's ongoing planning and implementation of technology solutions for a cooperating group of academic libraries; manage the implementation of new member libraries; manage the project life cycle for new roll-outs of local software and initiatives; plan the projects and activities carried out by the technical staff in the office; prepare needs assessments and technical documents, planning papers; represent Novanet in international user groups to promote library system technology. Manage the day to day operation of the Novanet library information systems. Promote effective communication processes within Novanet.
1. Information technology planning and implementation
In reporting to the NEC and/or in consultation with the Novanet System Operation Committee (NSOC):
· Ensure ongoing Novanet systems quality control and evaluation.
· Assess and recommend current and new models for service delivery;
- local systems (eg Novanet Express)
- the Novanet union catalog system (eg GUI, alternate integrated systems)
- external systems interfaces.
· Assure the quality of the bibliographic data in the Novanet database is compatible with ongoing consortia endeavours eg, resource sharing (AMICUS, Relais), authority control, etc.
· Investigate and recommend the highest possible quality and most cost effective systems solutions.
· Ensure timely notification to the Novanet community of systems related issues.
· Coordinate timely and effective implementation of Novanet systems upgrades, patches, enhancements, etc.
2. Automated Systems
· Provide support/leadership for the administration of an integrated library system (bibliographic database) and managerial duties of the Novanet staff.
· Coordinate, plan and implement overall library automation efforts as defined by NOSC.
· Coordinate, plan and implement overall training/development of Novanet staff to meet current and future system needs.
· Coordinate, and plan communications with system vendor(s) or outside agencies to meet system needs.
· Plan for and implement new system technologies.
3. Staff Training & Supervision
· Prepare task lists and assign duty schedules for Technical staff, based on priorities set by the Novanet System Operation Committee (NSOC).
· Identify training requirements of office staff and Novanet community in all aspects of system operations, monitoring of systems, and design of databases.
· Review current job descriptions of Novanet Office staff.
· Select candidates, interview, and recommend on hiring for Technical Staff vacancies.
· Promote staff development and training to help staff acquire specialized skills.
· In support of consortium goals set by the Policy Board, ensure adequate resources for Novanet staff to carry out their duties.
· Evaluate work performance of Technical Staff on a regular basis.
4. Special Projects
· Coordinate, plan and schedule the implementation of Novanet systems at new member libraries.
· Plan and coordinate meetings, and training sessions.
· Write project specifications and cost quotations for external clients requesting a service from Novanet.
· Coordinate, plan, and implement any future systems projects requested by the Novanet Policy Board.
· Promote effective communication processes within Novanet:
- Chair NSOC
- Coordinate the website and listservs
- Report to the NEC
- Liaise with the Novanet community on behalf of the Novanet office
· Liaise with the external community, such as library system vendors, hardware vendors and field service engineers
· Act as an internal consultant for the NEC on matters of technology.
6. Other duties
· Correspond with Novanet system vendors on matters of operating costs, and incidental and routine invoices.
· In support of the Novanet budget process, acquire appropriate data from the database for application in our funding formula.
· Plan the office computing requirements, seeing that the budget supports ongoing technology needs.
Decision making: In consultation with the NEC and with the approval of the Novanet Policy Board, makes purchasing decisions about equipment; plans and schedules system upgrades and downtime according to guidelines provided by the member libraries; directs technical staff effort to deploy solutions for libraries in a timely manner.
Contacts: Chairs and members of NSOC, Task Forces, Committees and Working Groups; staff in all member libraries; library system vendor(s); office staff, both Novanet and Interuniversity Services; staff members and Directors of Systems at other University and Public libraries. Communicate support requirements to our subcontractor (Dalhousie University Computing and Information Services)
Supervisory responsibility: Directly supervises technical staff, including planning, assigning and evaluating the work for two full-time system support staff.
· University Degree in Computing Science or Library Science degree.
· Experience in managerial duties, staff evaluation and development.
· Extensive experience in library information systems (Geac Advance an asset) or other library database management systems, (minimum five years).
· Five years minimum demonstrated successful experience in the management of integrated library systems.
· Experience in client-server computing.
· Organized team leader with very strong communications skills.
· Knowledge of Information Technology trends.
· Experienced in a programming language.