Posted on behalf of the Medical Society of Nova Scotia.
FULL-TIME POSITION: Librarian
The Medical Society of Nova Scotia provides an Electronic Bookshelf of services for its members on their website doctorsns.com. In addition, the Society supports the use of new technologies such as hand-helds and provides a physician computer-training program that is delivered by a training company.
The Librarian is responsible for the Electronic Bookshelf project, negotiates contracts with the database vendors, trains Society members and staff in the use of the Bookshelf and other aspects of doctorsns.com, coordinates the overall computer training program for the members, provides the Ask a Librarian service and supports technology issues within the Medical Society. The Librarian reports to the Director of IT for the Medical Society and works with several Society committees. This position requires superior interpersonal skills working in a member-services environment.
This is a full-time position with full benefits, 35 hours per week flexible hours, one evening a week answering the Ask a Librarian telephone support line, typically three evening meetings per month; frequent Saturdays.
o Negotiates and manages on line subscription licenses
o Develops and monitors collection development plan for the Electronic Bookshelf
o Plans, implements and evaluates training programs
o Administers budgets
o Delivers training throughout Nova Scotia
o Responds to calls on the Ask a Librarian line
o Confers with universities, medical organizations and community agencies regarding instructional programs
o Maintains awareness of new technologies including hand-held technologies to support the physician training program
o As a member of the Medical Society of Nova Scotia team the Librarian works with the IT Department, server support staff and various interested constituents and partners
o In co-operation with the systems administrator, assists in the administration of passwords and technology trouble-shooting as required.
o Maintains awareness of advanced techniques, best practices, newest procedures and latest equipment for delivery of information services
· A Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited
library school. A minimum of three (3) years professional library experience in the health sciences area.
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written
· Experience training users of Internet-based resources
· Ability to independently plan, organize and evaluate projects.
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
· Ability to negotiate with vendors
· Excellent working knowledge of health sciences literature
· Proficiency with database application software
· Demonstrated qualities of initiative, good judgment, accuracy, flexibility
· Ability to operate and to instruct others in the operation of computer equipment
· Excellent project management and budget administration skills
· Superior interpersonal skills working with a member-serviced organization
This position involves travel to centres around Nova Scotia for training and promotion of the service. A valid drivers license is required. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please mail, fax or e-mail resume with three references to:
Mr. Steve Anderson
Director of Information Technology
Medical Society of Nova Scotia
5 Spectacle Lake Drive,
Dartmouth, NS B3E 1L6
[log in to unmask]
Deadline: July 29, 2002