OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
TECHNICAL SERVICES / SYSTEMS LIBRARIAN
FULL-TIME TEMPORARY POSITION
(September 1, 2001 to May 31, 2002)
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY & CULTURAL AFFAIRS
LOCATION - Morell: This position provides professional library leadership and management for services and staff of the Technical Services Unit. This involves developing, implementing and evaluating goals, objectives, programs and services. The incumbent of this position also provides database management services (Dynix), training and support for connectivity programs and issues. Liaison with staff, the school library community and the Technology Centre is required to ensure that services meet the needs of clients.
Duties will include:
- ensuring the smooth functioning of the integrated library system, establishing codes and parameters which meet the Provincial Library System's requirements, running procedures to keep the file structure functional, troubleshooting problems from all staff, liaising with Epixtech customer service, planning and implementing upgrades;
- working with the Invoicing Technician and the Supervisor of Technical Services to ensure that public library materials are catalogued in a timely manner;
- ensuring that fund accounts and fiscal year accounting is set up properly on Dynix and ensuring that ordering and claiming procedures are carried out regularly;
- working with the Supervisor of Technical Services to ensure authority control files are kept up-to-date and that new catalogue entries conform to accepted practice;
- providing training to all staff on the automation system as well as in other areas as appropriate (i.e. cataloguing tools, Gates computers, etc.)
- liaison with school library staff, attending support group meetings to ensure that ordering instructions are disseminated, and to ensure effective communication between teacher-librarians and the Provincial Library Service, specifically Technical Services;
- liaising between the Technology Centre Help Desk and public library staff to ensure that technical problems are properly reported to the Help Desk and that information provided to Help Desk staff is complete;
- coordinating special projects (i.e. inventory, fee implementations) as required;
- other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have a Masters of Library and Information Science or equivalent. Specific knowledge of Dynix System commands and functionality as well as knowledge of information systems and database structure is essential. This position also requires knowledge of AACR2 rev. cataloguing rules, the Library of Congress and National Library of Canada subject headings, and the Dewey Decimal classification system. The successful applicant must have excellent communication skills and supervisory experience would be preferred.
SALARY RANGE: $20.29 - $25.36 per hour (Professional Officer Level 18)
POSTING ID#: 004055-0105CCTO
CLOSING DATE: Friday, June 22, 2001 4:00 p.m.
Please return application forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383. DUE TO THE FACT THAT RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS BY FAX CANNOT BE GUARANTEED, APPLICANTS TRANSMITTING THEIR APPLICATIONS BY FAX MAY WISH TO CONFIRM RECEIPT BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting I.D. number is stated on all application forms. Application forms may be obtained at any PEI Government Office, Regional Services Centre, or by telephoning 368-4080.
Allan J. Groen, Provincial Librarian
Provincial Library Service
Province of Prince Edward Island
Red Head Road
PO Box 7500
MORELL, PE C0A 1S0
Email: [log in to unmask]